ROCKY MOUNT – The Town of Rocky Mount has put safety measures in place to protect the public and staff from community transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
Town Manager James Ervin addressed the issues the Town, like most local governments, is facing:
“We are working to implement recommendations of the Governor, the President and the Centers for Disease Control,” said Ervin. “In short, though we are not battling a large number of active cases, we are following guidance to limit COVID-19’s ability to get a foothold in our community.”
“I know many of these steps have a negative impact on you and I apologize and hope you will join with us and endure some minor changes to hopefully make a big impact,” Ervin said.
To stop or limit the spread of the virus, wash your hands with soap and water, sanitize surfaces, avoid touching your face, cover your cough, limit gatherings to no more than ten individuals and keep a reasonable distance between each other.
“Our grocery stores remain well stocked and there is no need to stockpile items as other folks will need the same thing and more is on the way,” Ervin said. “Our restaurants are feeling the pinch, so if you would normally eat out, but are re-thinking that plan, give them a call and get an order to-go.”
Ervin thanked the Town staff for continuing to provide service in a difficult time.
“All of our staff are doing their part to keep essential services (policing, water, wastewater treatment, refuse collection) going throughout whatever may come,” said Ervin. “These people can’t ‘work from home’ and are part of the heroes of today. If you see them, give them a thumbs-up as they are ready to go to battle to keep you safe.”
Effective immediately, the following changes apply to all customer interactions at Town facilities:
- All in-person payments must be processed through the Municipal Building’s drive-through payments window at 345 Donald Avenue, Rocky Mount.
- The Town will waive convenience fees for credit and debit card payments used to pay bills by phone at 540-483-5243.
- All permit applications will be handled through the drive-through or via email at [email protected].
- The Town will stop processing passport applications. Prior passport appointments will be honored, but no new ones will be scheduled.
- No members of the public will be allowed beyond the lobby of any town facility.
- Rentals at the Community & Hospitality Center, the Town’s historic train depot and welcome center, are cancelled at least through the end of April. Renters will have the option to receive refunds or reschedule their events.
- If you need the Community Development office, call 540-483-0907.
- If you need the Town Manager’s office, call 540-483-7660.
- The following Rocky Mount events have been cancelled:
- Cops & Bobbers Fishin’ Rodeo (March 28)
- Easter Egg Hunt (April 11)
- Harvester Performance Center shows (see harvester-music.com)
- Chug For The Jug foot race
- CPR’s “Cars, Cornbread & Conversation” event (April 4)
- Cruisin’ Rocky Mount (April 4, moved to May 2)
- Rocky Mount Farmers Market (closed through April 3)