SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE, VA – The Smith Mountain Lake Regional Chamber of Commerce today announced the winner of its first $2,500 Getaway Sweepstakes, a two-month marketing initiative designed to showcase the lake region to potential visitors and generate excitement for the upcoming tourism season.
According to SMLRCC Interim Executive Director Cheryl Ward, James S. of Millers Creek, North Carolina, had his name drawn at random from the 5,861 eligible entries. He will receive $2,500 worth of prizes donated by local businesses, including accommodations, boat rental and restaurant gift certificates.
“We were blown away by not only the number of people who registered for this first-year sweepstakes, but also by the fact that entries came in from 45 states, plus Washington, D.C.,” said Ward, noting that online promotion for the project primarily targeted travelers in North Carolina and Northern Virginia.
“In addition, LeisureMedia360, our media partner for the contest, promoted it via ads in Blue Ridge Country magazine and online at blueridgecountry.com,” Ward said.
The sweepstakes was funded with a grant from the Virginia Tourism Corporation’s Recovery Marketing Leverage Program, which was designed to help local and regional tourism entities recover from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The prize package included:
- Bridgewater Marina & Boat Rentals – One-day tritoon boat rental
- Mariners Landing Hospitality – Two-night stay at Mariners Landing Resort
- Serafina Spa – 60-minute couples massage
- Smith Mountain Lake Coffee House – $25 breakfast gift certificate
- Old Oak Café – $25 breakfast gift certificate
- Jake’s Place – $25 lunch gift certificate
- Mango’s – $25 lunch gift certificate
- Blackwater Café – $25 gift certificate
- Mariners Landing – $25 gift certificate
- The Mariners Club – Recreation Package: Round of golf for two, pickleball class and use of fitness center
- National D-Day Memorial – Admission for two
- Virginia Dare Cruises & Marina – Admission for two
- Gifts Ahoy – $25 gift certificate
- JollyJen Photography – 45-minute couples photoshoot