UPDATE: Officials and family members say Donald "Duck" Ledbetter, Sr., 70, died in an early morning house fire Friday. Crews were called to the fire around 4:15 a.m. The house had been converted into six studio apartments. Witnesses say Ledbetter initially escaped the fire along with everyone else, but went back inside when he died. The body has been sent to the forensic lab in Roanoke. The investigation into the fire continues.
BURNT CHIMNEY - Officials confirm to Cable 12 that one person died in the fire. The home on 122 is a total loss, fire officials say. Crews from Burnt Chimney, Rocky Mount and Boones Mill responded to the blaze around 4:30 a.m. Belongings were being gathered from the remains Friday morning. This is a developing story, more details to come.